Rhode Island Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner seeks to hire an administrative assistant who will be responsible for providing administrative and operational support to the chief policy officer and the chief communications officer. Specifically, the AA will be responsible for:
- Provide administrative support, including the handling of sensitive and confidential information.
- Manage appointment calendars for each officer, including the scheduling of meetings, events and appointments. Track important deadlines and notify officers. Serve as a point of contact with people trying to reach or schedule meetings or other engagements with the officers.
- Maintain a current and prioritized agenda of issues and major items requiring attention and response by each officer, ensuring prompt responses or follow-through on requests for decision and action. Attend meetings as needed, take meeting notes, and disseminate information as directed.
- Assist both officers with the preparation of presentations and reports, which requires knowledge and experience with Excel spreadsheets, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, One Drive, and Adobe Suite products. Assist with compiling data for these and other presentations. Assist with the compilation of reports, correspondence, and related materials.
- Draft and respond to routine correspondence; make travel arrangements.
- Support the chief policy officer with research, data collection/analysis and writing relating to policy and other matters.
- Support the chief communications officer with online research and reporting; data collection and analysis; short writing assignments; and creating social media posts.
- Periodically attend functions off site and assist with photography.
- Develop and maintain various office and digital files and ensure their confidentiality.
- Answer phones, greet visitors, and engage with a diverse constituency. This requires strong interpersonal skills when interacting directly with the office’s publics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Licenses, Tools, and Equipment
Personal computers, printers, scanners; copying machines; and word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and scheduling software. Knowledge and deep familiarity with Meta, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tweetdeck, LinkedIn, YouTube, Constant Contact, Canva, and Adobe Suite products. WordPress familiarity helpful but not required.
Required: High school diploma or GED; Minimum three years of progressively responsible experience in the capacity of administrative support in a complex professional environment; demonstrated grammar and writing skills; demonstrated mathematical and analytical skills; demonstrated problem-solving skills; demonstrated time management and organizational skills; demonstrated computer skills; demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills; demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills; demonstrated research experience; demonstrated design and social media experience; Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality; and, demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree; Minimum three years of progressively responsible experience in the capacity of administrative support in a complex professional environment in a higher education institution or governmental agency. Demonstrated experience and ability to interpret policies, plans, objectives, rules, and regulations, and to communicate the interpretation to others.
This is a non-union, part-time position not to exceed 19 hours per week. Starting hourly wage is between $20-25/hr., depending on qualifications and experience. There are no fringe benefits with this position. This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Resume and cover letter required. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.